Uh-Oh...I've Infected My Wife...Again..!  

pragmaticCTcpl 62M/51F
3614 posts
5/7/2006 4:32 pm

Last Read:
5/10/2006 1:30 pm

Uh-Oh...I've Infected My Wife...Again..!

About a year ago, I was working out back in the yard...clearing out brush...trimming vines...and getting our garden cleared for planting.

I must've come into contact with poison ivy.

It's never been a problem for me...I think I had about three little red bumps on one wrist, that I thought were bug bites...but my wife developed a very bad case of poison ivy poisoning.

When I had finished working in the yard, I took off my jeans and sweatshirt in the basement...went upstairs...into the bathroom, and took a shower.

A few days later, my wife told me she had broken out in a rash, and was so itchy, it was driving her crazy.

When I looked at the rash, I immediately asked her if she had been out back, where there might have been some poison ivy.

She hadn't been, so even though I still thought it was poison ivy rash, I told her to put some Calamine lotion on it...stop acting like a lab monkey going through heroin withdrawl...and go to see our Internist the next day.

He confirmed that it was indeed poison ivy poisoning, and prescribed a 5-day steroid medication.

After day two of the medication, she had stopped squirming around from the itching, and the crimson red splotches on her back, stomach, boobs, hips, inner thighs and butt had started to diminish.

It reappeared about a week after she had finished the medication, with a vengeance, and this time she was put on a 10-day regimen of steroids, that were a little stronger. The same thing happened as with the 5-day dose, but this time it was gone and didn't return.

As near as we could figure, when she washed my dirty jeans and sweatshirt that had been exposed to poison ivy, she was wearing her flannel pajama bottoms and an old t-shirt, that barely covered her abdomen. The clothes, coming in contact with her skin, and the remnants of poison ivy contact on the clothes, is what did it.

The weekend prior to this one, I was again out working in the yard...getting rid of the leaves from last fall.

My dirty clothes went directly into the washing machine this time, and I washed them, without any other clothes, in with them.

Yesterday, my wife once again broke out in red splotches. She had been telling me that she was itchy for a few days...but as we were both outside the past two weekends, I just figured it was bug bites.

A rash has appeared on her belly...her boobs...her ribs...her thighs...and on one cheek of her butt.

I have about a half dozen little red bumps on my right forearm, and two more on my right elbow.

When I sleep at night, I always sleep on my left side...facing away from my wife. She always cuddles up to my back and puts her right arm over me.

Yep...those little red bumps that I attributed to bug bites, are from poison ivy...and, I've given it to her AGAIN..!

Guess next year, we're going to have to sleep in separate beds or hire someone to do the yard work...as if either of those things will ever happen..!

She's going for some previously scheduled blood tests tomorrow...guess it's also going to include a call to our Internist for some more steroids....the 10-day pack..!

It's getting worse...the splotches are spreading and getting bigger in size.

As I'm finishing this post, my lovely, itchy, and crimson-red splotchy wife just came into the room...peered over my shoulder at what I was typing...and said,


"Honey...is this going to be my early birthday present, every year.....you MOTHER-FUCKER..?????"

.


fantasylover_05 63M

5/7/2006 4:45 pm

OMG!!!

That is horrible!

I do not have any problems with poison ivy either.. as a kid I played and rolled around in the stuff and never got it.... a few years ago I took the WEED WACKER to it and got the slightest irritations around my eyes... but nothing more

I used to work with a guy whom would get it if he stood down wind from it!! LOL

Check with your doctor... they do have an injection which can minimize or eliminate sensitivity to it....

Sorry I missed you in Nashua.... I did not see your note until too late! Maybe next time!


pragmaticCTcpl replies on 5/9/2006 5:03 pm:
Maybe....

LateralPhantasm 36M
33 posts
5/7/2006 4:56 pm

LoL. I am sorry about that. Poison Ivy or anything that we humans are commenly allergic to is a bitch. Good luck on the next birthday!


pragmaticCTcpl replies on 5/9/2006 5:04 pm:
Next year...I'm doing the yardwork in a Level A bio-hazard suit...that I'll burn before I even get near the house..!

docdirk 48M

5/7/2006 5:48 pm

Me and the ivey have a long, bitter relationship. As a child, I used to get it if I even thought about it. In the eyes, all over the face, and other places where scratching in public is difficult. The last time I got a bad case, I was given an injection of steroid medication. It did clear up within a couple of days after I had unsuccessfully tried to treat it myself. I keep a special outfit for yard work (which I rarely do) and keep it separate from other clothes. Showering ASAP afterward is a must, hot water and much soap.

A little know tip: Hot water on the spot of the infection is more relieveing. Super hot. It opens the pores and releases the built up histamines just under the skin. It's a temporary cure, but can be repeated as often as necessary.

Good luck, Mrs Prag, I know the pain you are in!

Ah, Its you again, Your Angel Feathers and your Blood Stains...


pragmaticCTcpl replies on 5/9/2006 5:06 pm:
Thanks, doc...you're such a sweetheart. {=}

funontheside4you 42M/39F

5/7/2006 6:42 pm

Might want to think about round-up next time....


pragmaticCTcpl replies on 5/9/2006 5:06 pm:
Gonna need more than a round-up....

angelofmercy5 60F
17881 posts
5/7/2006 10:15 pm

Thats awful.....and I know you'll get her something real nice this year, won't you MRPrag???


pragmaticCTcpl replies on 5/9/2006 5:07 pm:
Already have, angel..!

mycin62 55F

5/8/2006 1:56 am

I've never had a problem with poison ivy, but my son does. Next time, Mr Prag, try covering you blotches with some gauze, they come in a roll called cling, so that when sleeping, they don't come into contact with Mrs Prag. Also, Rulee gel is very good for poison ivy.


pragmaticCTcpl replies on 5/9/2006 5:08 pm:
Sounds kinky, Cin...! >>!

49AK 56M
1823 posts
5/8/2006 7:03 pm

We don't have poison ivy here in Alaska, but I used to live back east, and the only time I ever got poison ivy I was... ummm... well, maybe I shouldn't say.

Let's just say, I'd do it again...


pragmaticCTcpl replies on 5/9/2006 5:10 pm:
Guess that would depend on where you got it and how hard you scratch...!

Become a member to create a blog