just to bring this blog up to date  

lvcelticcpl 69M/57F
0 posts
8/28/2005 2:33 pm

Last Read:
3/5/2006 9:27 pm

just to bring this blog up to date

I better start this by giving an over view of the past 11 months since I am starting this so late. I hope that everyone who reads this will feel free to add comments here. But please keep them respectful and intelligent. I have no problem with differing opinions as long as they are based on fact and follow a rational and logical thread.
If all anyone has to base their comments on is rhetoric, unproven assertions or ineuendo then I will delete them.

I began my tour in Iraq on October 3rd of 2004. I flew into Baghdad and stayed at the Al Sadeer hotel. We then spent 9 days in orientation, administrative tasks and training. We were issued our M-4 rifles and M-9 pistols. The M-4 is a cut down M-16 with a collapsable stock. The M-9 is the U.S. military Barreta 9 mm semiauto pistol.
I came in with a group of 72 people and we were quickly assigned to various FOBs (Forward Operating Bases) and posts. I was assigned with 6 others to the CIF training post at Numaniyah (CIF is the Iraqi Civil Intervention Force). I spent the next 3 months training Public Order Battalions (PO and Special Mechanized Police (the 8th S.P. Mechanized Bgde.). Conditions in Numaniyah were less than appealing. The base itself was secure, but we received little or no support from Dyncorp or the Military or Civilian sides of the Mission. It was kind of like posted and forgotten.
In January I was sent with two other men to Camp Taji to assist in organizing and equipping the S.P. Mech Bgde. and getting them ready to deploy for the elections. I was stuck with the other two guys in a 14'X 14" room for sleeping and had to work on the Iraqi side of the base. The individual members of the military were mostly supportive of us, but the higher you went the less receptive and supportive they became. The Mayors cell here told us directly that they were not obligated to support us and had no intent of doing so. We were then shown the door and invited not to come back. And again we were left to support ourselves with anything we could beg borrow or steal. Literally.
A few weeks after the Bgde. deployed were were allowed to come back to Baghdad. Our team then disbanded and I was assigned to the Baghdad Directorate and the Traffic Police unit. I enjoyed this assignment mostly because these people had their act together. They came over from the old regime mostly intact and De Baathification hardly touched them. They worked very closely with us and they took great care to see to our safety and security. When at their stations we rarely wore body armor and left our rifles in the trucks.
The Traffic Unit was disbanded in early August and I was reassigned to Camp Cooke FOB. The camp is back to Taji, but on the American side this time. We work with the MPs here and operate alongside them at the local IP stations. I was given Mishahada station. It is an entirely different situation than the Traffic Police. We know that the majority of the IPs are at least part time insurgents and they are totally corrupt. We wear our body armor at all times and carry both pistols and rifles locked and loaded when there. I have been hit by two roadside bombs while out with the Army. If they get out to patrol or on any other task we go with them. Basically when with them I am in the Army for all intents and purposes.
Well, that is an abbreviated timeline of the last 11 months. As I go along I may flesh this out with more details. If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask. As long as it does not violate operational security or any contractual obligations I will be happy to answer to the best of my knowledge and ability.

Become a member to create a blog