|Blogs > sexyblokeinlincs > Idly By|
Not feeling very imaginative today so here are some strange but true facts gathered from the net...
A 'jiffy' is an actual unit of time for 1/100th of a second
- Am I right in remembering that there is a brand of condom called Jiffy which used to have the Ad line 'Come in a Jiffy'? Mind you I also remember in Australia the leading brand is / was Sellotape which sounds more than a little painful to us Brits! Which reminds me again of when I first saw a sanitary towel with it's sticky strip and I thought how painful that looked....
Over 2500 left handed people a year are killed from using products made for right handed people
- Not sure which products or how...
Windmills always turn counter-clockwise. Except for the windmills in Ireland
- I don't understand why this should be so, or is it a 'wind-up'?!
If you counted 24 hours a day, it would take 31,688 years to reach one trillion
- But why?
A crocodile always grows new teeth to replace the old teeth
Clinophobia is the fear of beds
- No fear here!
Porcupines float in water
- I guess it's the air in the spines, but don't most things float after a fashion?
Pinocchio is Italian for "pine eye"
- Used to love that film...
The only 15 letter word that can be spelled without repeating a letter is "uncopyrightable"
- But are there also 14 or 16 letter words?
The sloth (a mammal) moves so slowly that green algae can grow undisturbed on its fur
- I know some people like this...
Cat urine glows under a black-light
- I am not tempted to test this out
The world's termites outweigh the world's humans 10 to 1
- Let's hope they don't have an 'obesity epidemic'!
The electric chair was invented by a dentist
No piece of square dry paper can be folded more than 7 times in half
- So now you know..
A group of geese on the ground is a gaggle, a group of geese in the air is a skein
- A group of bloggers is a .......
Camels have three eyelids to protect themselves from blowing sand
- My first thought was 'why would they want to blow sand'...
The placement of a donkey's eyes in its head enables it to see all four feet at all times
- Let's hope it's nose is not similarly skilled!
Human teeth are almost as hard as rocks
- Please do not test this!
A mole can dig a tunnel 300 feet long in just one night
- I think this may be an American mole rather than the Western European one...
Ancient Egyptians slept on pillows made of stone
- So don't challenge them to a pillow fight!
A hippo can open its mouth wide enough to fit a 4 foot tall child inside
-please do not try this!
That's enough, it's a strange world out there!
1/3/2006 1:10 am
A "group of Bloggers" is a "Perval"|
1/3/2006 5:26 am
Tillerbabe I'll go with that!|
1/4/2006 4:45 am
When I lived in South Africa, a Jiffy was a plastic bag that you used to wrap sandwiches in, or use to freeze food in. The strap line was "Wrap it in a Jiffy"... lol, so imagine coming to the UK and discovering Jiffy was a condom... although the strap line would still work!! |