Back From New Orleans Chapter 3 (Air Force Embarassment)  

rm_Quartz16k 34M
8 posts
9/23/2005 8:09 pm

Last Read:
3/5/2006 9:27 pm

Back From New Orleans Chapter 3 (Air Force Embarassment)

...And a status update for Hurricane Rita. My military friends and I are quietly laughing to ourselves about how none of the meteorologists know what the hell Rita's going to do. We'd love to speculate about where we'll be in the next 48 hours, but man it'd be completely useless at this point. We're all on standby next to our cell phones for the call to go help, though so far it looks like the storm is really losing steam. Maybe we'll luck out. Anyway on to another quick New Orleans story. Thanks to everyone for the well wishing and the reading. I -promise- you it warms the hearts of every military member you thank.

This time around was a bit of embarassment to the Air Force, at least for me. A bit less exciting, mission number 2 for me was an overnight escort mission for an Army truck driver and a few army Military Police from the Rhode Island National Guard. We were to pick up a few passengers, including the MP's and three journalists from Providence. Upon arriving at their location we picked up three MP's and the journalists, and two unexpected passengers: two dogs! One was a pretty big reddish female. I have no idea of the breed. The other was what looked like a lab-boxer mixed boy puppy, aptly named 'Hurricane' by a writer for the local Providence newspaper (I wish I could remember his name, really nice guy). We all left for Belle Chase Naval Air Station where we would camp for the night. The next morning the reporters were to catch a C-130 back to Rhode Island, and we would head back to the convention center in a small convoy with a few more MP's and their belongings. The trip itself was pretty uneventful, but the next morning I had to chew on the fact that some C-130 pilot made an ass out of me. The whole prior evening the journalists were asking me if they would be able to take the dogs on the plane, if the pilot would give them trouble about the dogs. Now, if -I- was the pilot, it wouldn't have been a problem. Apparently the next morning, the journalists made it all the way to the plane before they ultimately got a stern no. The dogs rode back with us on the convoy, and I ran head first into the sad feeling of what must have been tens of thousands of dogs without owners roaming the city. I also thought about what those reporters thought of me, the only Air Force member they talked to on the entire trip, after all the reassurance of how nice the pilot would be, how he would let them on no problem. If I can find their names on the newspaper website I'm going to write them and apologize. God bless the Rhode Island 119th Military Police, who adopted the dogs as mascots and took care of them for the rest of their tenure in New Orleans. Very sweet dogs, they deserved a good home. Things calmed down for me during the next couple of days as I got used to the sights, sounds and perpetual smell of the post-Katrina city. Until one day when I had to deal a dog that was not quite as sweet as the first two I ran into. More on that one next time.

Become a member to create a blog