The Longer the Post, the fewer the Comments. WTF

rm_MustangD6644 52M
1052 posts
5/1/2006 5:34 pm

Last Read:
5/3/2006 4:48 pm

The Longer the Post, the fewer the Comments. WTF

It would appear to me that in relation to my blog, the lengthier I write my post the fewer comments I receive.

This is frustrating to say the least as I endeavour to assemble coherent sentences and then paragraphs into a post which I can hopefully express my thoughts and ideas to you.

Is it my choice of topics?

Is it because I fully expand my argument to the point where you the reader say "fair enough, cant argue with that" and then move on?

Or am I boring the shit out of you?

Maybe its a bit like what happened during Economics class at school. The times when I thought I had written a good essay, I was graded poorly, and the times when I handed in a essay thinking, "Man, did I bullshit my way through that one", I ended up getting a good mark.

Go figure that one out, and if you find the answer let me know will you, because I'm exasperated here.

Mustang

niceguy0865 66M

5/1/2006 6:12 pm

It's pretty much the "....boring the shit out of (us)...."

rm_PurryKitty2 48M/50F
9753 posts
5/1/2006 6:50 pm

I dont have the attention span for long post,sorry

Purry {=}

Purry

TTigerAtty 62M

5/1/2006 7:08 pm

I think its easier for a larger number of people to read a short post than a lengthy post. I'm writing a book on my blog and I don't expect to get a large number of readers. If I do, I will consider that I have really done something quite well. Short jokes and short stories and poems have usually done best for me in terms of generating comments. Good luck!

imsohorny19822 35F
1728 posts
5/1/2006 11:32 pm

I too think that its the "im boring the shit out of you" answer im afraid.

I have noticed the same thing in my blog. The longer the entry, the less responses i receive. Think people cant be bothered these days

niceguy0865 66M

5/2/2006 3:56 am

horny: You could write me an e-mail the length of "War and Peace" and I'd read it in its entirety, hoping against hope that it included a passage wherein you invite me to spend a weekend with you!!.....

rm_MustangD6644 52M
1031 posts
5/2/2006 3:41 pm

Why do I suspect that Ally will reply with a come back like; ROFPMSLWTIME. That is Rolling On the Floor Pissing MySelf Laughing With Tears In My Eyes.

Niceguy0865; there is a Classic Aussie comment from a film called "The Castle" and it goes; "Ring Him Up and Tell Him He's Dreaming", which sums everything up nicely.

"The Castle" was released in the States under a different name, and with some different lines and gags to help poor Yanks understand Aussie humour and lingo.

Mustang

AussieCuckold 53M/41F

5/3/2006 3:39 am

I think its a combination of alot of things. Boring posts, versus topics they arent wanting to read or even 'polls. Hit and miss really.

Firstly, let me explain the polls. I have been reading the CEO blog inside and out. The amount of bloggers who said they would boycot polls was amazing. I personally like them cause they dont take much of my time.

I think that might be the key. Time. Peoples time, to them, is precious. So if they only want to be on AdultFriendFinder for 30 minutes or so, they'll read their emails, perhaps send emails, read favourite blogs or groups. People will generally keep reading longer posts if it is a topic that interests them personally, or if it is someone they have a strong connection with.

Generally those who are 'surfing' blogs tend to read short, straight to the point posts and sometimes take a moment to comment. But these kind of browsers generally seem to respond when we haven't taken up much of their time online.

Sounds backward, but its what I've noticed. As you know I've had a personal blog online for 5 yrs and have had many days when I poured heart and soul into a post, only to have no one comment.

Then you get long ass commenters like this one.... LOL
Beckie

rm_MustangD6644 52M
1031 posts
5/3/2006 4:48 pm

Beckie who could complain about such a well written and thoughtful reply post.

With regards to the time issue, I will counter by saying that some people on the other hand will spend huge amounts of time in a chat room and think nothing of it.

For me chat rooms are OK in small doses, bit they easily consume time and once a comment goes off the page it is gone for good. Lost in the cyber ether forever, whereas a blog post hangs around to be read and re read. A far better long term result for your time and effort.

Mustang

Cuddles to Bradman for me please.

Become a member to create a blog