She really did do this.  

paintmeblue 62M
175 posts
7/7/2005 11:59 pm

Last Read:
3/5/2006 9:27 pm

She really did do this.

This time, it's not about me. But an online friend.
Unfortunately she lives half the planet away, and is less than half my age, so we mightn't ever meet, but we do share a passion for being painted.

I've talked to a few people who like to cover themselves in paint, be she is the most fanatical.

I haven't used oil paint much, it's a little hard to get off, but she prefers it. What she loves to do is to paint herself head to foot, and then leave it on for as long possible. For a couple of days or more if she can.

She set up to have several days off, and a friend to come round every now and then with food etc.
She painted herself in the morning, and again later in the day. She did that each day. By the third day she had a nice thick coating of 6 layers of oil paint, that she could rinse off in the shower. She loved the way it cracked, only for the cracks to be removed with the next coating.
By the fifth day, she put on a coat of varnish!
I've always wanted to have a nice crisp layer like that, but never thought it was possible.
Then alternating, varnish in the morning, paint at night.
She was so sad, by the eighth day she had to take it off. She loved it.
When it's about 15 layers thick, it peels off pretty quickly.

I was chatting to her each day, and was predicting that her skin would be pretty tragic underneath. The risks we take hey.

Hours to scrub it all off, but her skin was fine!
She was still scrubbing the last bits out of her pores and hair the next day, but she was able to present herself to the world, none the worse for wear.

Unbelievable. I want to do that. I don't think I could make it past about day 4. She's a hero in my book.


wyvernrose 38F
3895 posts
7/8/2005 12:51 am

wow that's pretty amzing paint me blue

WyvernRose


paintmeblue 62M

7/8/2005 5:37 am

Absolutely. To my mind, the thought of varnish is incredible, and I'm astonished and jealous that she did it successfully. I'll probably add some more to her story tomorrow.


paintmeblue 62M

7/8/2005 4:24 pm

Only kind of, catastrophegirl. The skin breathing is the Goldfinger myth to make an interesting movie plot device.
I was anxious for my friend after about the 4th day, but she felt good and wanted to keep going. As I said I was amazed that she suffered no ill effects after an astonishing ten days.

If you cover yourself in paint and go jogging on a 100 degree day, and don't realise you might get pretty hot - that's fairly dangerous. Or you if you coat yourself in toxic substances - that could be a little dangerous I'd say.


papyrina 51F
21133 posts
7/9/2005 5:10 am

how does she sleep,i'd hate to wash the sheets


I'm a

and
i'm here to stay


cajunpet 70M
1185 posts
7/9/2005 6:05 am

Some paint containing more than 300 toxic chemicals and 150 carcinogens. The four main components of paint are: resins for adhesion and durability; pigments for color and coverage; various additives to maximize performance; and solvents, usually the largest component of paint, which dissolve and disperse the other ingredients.

Solvents are substances which dissolve other substances. The most common solvent is water. Generally, however, the term solvent refers to a group of hazardous liquids, used because of their ability to dissolve something (like old paint) and because they evaporate easily. Many common products contain solvents and should be handled with care, including paint thinners, spot removers, furniture strippers, glues, and nail polish removers. Nearly all solvents are toxic if ingested. Many can also enter the body by breathing solvent fumes or even directly through the skin. Eyes are often sensitive to solvents and their vapors. Store all solvents carefully, making sure they’re out of reach of children and pets, and read all solvent labels to make certain you use them as directed.

Toxicity of paint pigments. Some older paint pigments were made with materials now known to be toxic. Many of these are still available for sale.

Highly toxic pigments (avoid at all costs)
Barium Chromate (Lemon Yellow, Barium Yellow, Yellow 31) Contains barium and soluble chromates
Chrome Yellow (Chrome Lemon, Lead Chrome, Yellow 34) Contains lead and soluble chromates
Zinc Yellow (Zinc Chromate, Yellow 36) Contains soluble chromates
Naples Yellow (Lead Antimniate, Antimony Yellow, Yellow 41) Contains lead and antimony
Flake White (Cremnitz White, Lead White, White 1) Contains lead

Possibly toxic pigments (avoid unless necessary)
Cadmium Yellow (Yellow 37) Contains soluble cadmium
Aureolin (Cobalt Yellow, Yellow 40) Contains soluble cobalt
Vermilion (Cinnabar, Red 106) Contains mercury compounds
Cadmium Red (Red 10 Contains soluble cadmium
Cobalt Violet (Violet 14) Contains soluble cobalt
Manganese Violet (Permanent Mauve, Violet 16) Contains manganese and barium
Prussian Blue (Iron Blue, Milori Blue, Bronze Blue, Blue 27) Contains cyanide compounds
Cobalt Blue (Kings Blue, Blue 2 Contains soluble cobalt
Manganese Blue (Blue 33) Contains manganese
Cobalt Green (Green 19) Contains soluble cobalt
Nickel Azo Yellow (Green Gold, Green 10)

Paints are a mix of pigment and binder which one thinned with a solvent to form a liquid. The toxicity of paint depends on the solvent it contains. Latex paints use water as the solvent and are therefore less toxic. Latex paint that is no longer wanted can be donated to someone else who might use it or, if it must be disposed of, it can be left open to solidify and then disposed of as solid waste. Generally, use the same precautions in handling paints as you would with solvents. Leftover oil-based paints can be handled in much the same way as latex paints, but should be given to a hazardous waste collection facility.

The typical paint mixture is 5-25% pigment and 75-95% solvent. The type of pigment and solvent used largely defines the toxicity of the paint. Paints may become hazardous if fumes are inhaled or exposed to for long periods of time.

Solvents commonly used in paints include mineral spirits (naphtha), toluene, xylene, and other petroleum distillate solvents. These solvents can irritate your eyes, skin, and lungs. Inhaling paint fumes can result in headaches, nausea, dizziness, and fatigue. Toxic fumes can accumulate in closed spaces and areas with poor ventilation. Acute and chronic symptoms include muscle weakness, liver and kidney damage, and respiratory problems.

Paints also frequently contain skin-degrading solvents. Skin complaints brought on by contact with paint range from mild irritation to extreme forms of dermatitis. Subcutaneous poisoning (i.e., the passage of toxic substances through the skin) can also occur. Abraded skin, cuts and lesions naturally facilitate the absorption, but to varying degrees, intact skin also has the capacity to allow the passage of toxic substances.


Take care.
Keep On Blogging!!!! Have a great day.

Cajun Pet


paintmeblue 62M

7/9/2005 6:42 am

Yes, thanks for that Pet. All those hydrocarbons are extremely dangerous and are to be avoided. As you say even their fumes are dangerous.
The artist's paints have to meet standards for safety and toxicity. If they contain the chemicals you mentioned they require hazard warnings.
The manufacturers provide this kind of literature. Often the target market for such paints is schools, so the manufacturers are conscious of the dangers and specifically make products to avoid such dangers, to the point they can be safely ingested.

But your point is well taken. If anyone reading this thinks they can wander into the hardware store and buy any product on the shelves and ingest it or rub it on their body - then please don't.


Become a member to create a blog