Council Bluffs, Iowa: Day 5  

Wickedcurve 53M
281 posts
6/2/2006 5:26 pm

Last Read:
7/8/2008 1:08 pm

Council Bluffs, Iowa: Day 5

Well today went well. I almost felt like I was married to a bottle cart this morning. I was on a mission to go get a full bottle of oxygen because the cutting torch rig we were using was almost out of oxygen and we had alot of cutting to do today.

Now of course you aren't aware of this but this is a HUGE job with over 3,000 people employed here. There are 3 elevators 2 of which are the main elevators. The 2 main elevators travel one direction at a time. What I mean by that is that they will go all the way to the top floor and then go all the way to the ground floor. Of course they will stop at each and every floor but once it gets to the top it will not come back to the top until it goes all the way to the ground floor.

So about the mission. The oxygen, acetelyne, and all the other welding gases are on the ground floor. We were working on first floor above the ground floor. Now this may not sound like it is far but please keep in mind this is not like an office building. The next floor is ninety feet above the ground floor. As I got to the ground floor I found that all the empty bottles were mixed with the full ones so I had to check alot of bottles until I finally found one that had some pressure. I waited for the elevator to come back down and then got on it. Then once I got the oxygen bottle to the work area I connected a regulator and found it only had 200 pounds of pressure. A full one has 2000 pounds. So even though it had some presure it was almost empty. Another trip was made and then found that next one wasn't any better.

Now keep in mind that everytime I did this I had to once again wait for the elevator. If I was on the floor I was working at and the elevator was on it's way up I had to wait for it to go all the way to the top and then come all the way down before I could get on it. I was in luck when I brought the second bottle down because the welding gas company was there taking the empties and exchanging them with full ones. I grabbed a full one, Anyway this mission just about lasted until lunch time. Good thing I am getting paid by the hour, The rest of the day went smoothly.

I found out today by talking to my foreman that this job should last up until the end of the year. Currently we are working alot of hours. I know for the next 3-4 weeks I will be working 7 10 hour shifts Monday thru Sunday. Then after that we are supposedly going to be working 13 10 hour shifts and then have one day off. Stay tuned for more tomorrow.

countryheart_71 45F
8082 posts
6/3/2006 5:19 am

Sounds great but doesn't seem like that will leave much time for some fun


Wickedcurve replies on 6/4/2006 4:52 pm:
To the contrary,...I will make time for having fun

Become a member to create a blog