MissAnnThrope 56F
11679 posts
6/29/2006 9:00 am

Last Read:
7/1/2006 1:32 am


Have you ever noticed how much time we spend just waiting?

Yesterday was a day I did a lot of waiting. After a sleepless night, I finally got a short nap at around 11:30 in the morning. I woke up at 12:30 with my RLS out of control. My left leg would not stop. So, as tired as I was, I got myself out of bed, took a shower, shaved my legs, got dressed and went to get acupuncture.

I checked the bus schedule online. The next bus was at 2:30. OK, while the bus stop is just a block away, I left at 2:15, just to be on the safe side. There's a woman waiting at the bus stop, telling me I'm lucky the bus is late. Yep. The print schedule says 2:21. The online schedule says 2:31. If the bus had been on time, I would have been waiting an extra 20 minutes at least for the next one.

We get to Newark Penn Station. I'm still hobbling, as I re-injured my ankle last week, trying to rush the healing. I get to the PATH platform and the closest entrance to PATH is locked. By the time I make it to the next entrance, the train is pulling out. OK, it's the middle of the day still, rush hour is about to start, so trains run more often. But it was still a ten minute wait for the next one.

I get to the WTC station and walk the two blocks to the Fulton Street subway, to get the 4 or the 5 to the City Hall station. Yes, under normal circumstances, I could have walked to the City Hall station. But I'm hobbling. I just miss the one train, a ten minute wait for the next.

As we're pulling into City Hall, the 6 train is pulling out. Another wait. First for the train and then for it to pull out, as that's the end of the line for the 6 and it waits in the station awhile.

I finally get to Canal St. I actually see my acupuncturist walking around, doing some shopping. OK, he's a very spry old man, I figure, I'll just wander over to the office and wait. Three blocks when you're hobbled takes a while. By the time I get to his building, he's downstairs, looking at something on the board. I get up the stairs, visit the ladies' room to all but drench myself in cold water it's so humid outside and then go back down the hall to his office. His packed office.

Luckily, most of them were just waiting for herbs, so the wait isn't too bad. Total travel time? Two hours, thanks to all the waiting. I finally get on the table, get my acupuncture and 45 minutes later, I'm on my way.

I decide I need a treat, as I'm in pain and head for the Fay Da bakery on Center St. But I don't want to walk down Canal St. in high summer with even more tourists than usual. So, I take a more circular route, even though my ankle is starting to scream.

The place was packed. The line was long. It was more waiting. But I finally got the almond cookie I've been dying for for weeks and a sandwich. Why do none of the Chinese restaurants in my town stock them?

Back to the subway. Two metro cards in my purse. One I used up on the PATH ride, the other I got at WTC. The train is in the station. It's just pulling in. Which metro card do I pull out of my purse? That's right, the dead one. Why didn't I just refill it? Because, I've been refilling it for a year and it expires at the end of the month. So, by the time I get the new metro card out of my purse, the train is pulling out. It was a very long wait for the next 6 train. Three went by in the opposite direction while I was waiting. (This is why I hate clothes without pockets. But I had to wear a skirt for acupuncture, as it was for my lower back and my leg and I didn't want to have to get undressed. Had I had it in my pocket, I would have been on that first train.)

I finally get back to City Hall. First a 5 train pulls in so packed, with no one getting off that I couldn't even get on. So, wait for the 4 train. Well, at least my ankle and I got a seat, even if it was just for one stop. I hobble back to the WTC. I feel totally lame taking the elevators instead of the stairs, especially for the short set of steps. Having to take the elevators is my undoing. I get downstairs just in time for the train to pull out of the station. Yes, another train is almost right behind it, but of course, it sits there for 10 minutes or so before it heads back to Newark.

I finally get back to Newark at 7:48. I head out to the bus lanes just in time to see my bus leaving. Yep. When I want it to be on time, it never is. When I want it to be late, it's on time. Next bus home? 8:50. Another hour of waiting. Mind you, had I been able to get that first 6 train, I would have been home by 7:48 or on my way. Even if I had gotten the PATH train that was pulling away as I got down there I would have been on my way home by that point. But being a gimp, I wasn't. *sigh*

It's still well over 80 F, so I go back inside and get an iced coffee at the McDonald's, as they'll let me sit and drink. I'm wondering if they'll object to me pulling out the sandwich from Fay Da that I got. I decide against it and the milk and sugar from the coffee seem to kill the immediate hunger pangs I'm feeling from not eating all day.

The bus finally arrives. A bus driver who doesn't pull away the instant the last person is on, but waits until it's time to leave, unlike the driver who was pulling away as I got out to the bus lanes. We're almost home...

Oh look! Another wait! Why? Power outage in my town!

Yep. For a mile stretch, all the lights were out, including traffic lights. About a half mile before my stop, the lights were back on. But it was weird, riding down a major street in town, where the only light came from other vehicles. Police at every light, directing traffic and doing it badly. They need to train these guys to direct traffic. Or at least call in the school crossing guards, who are employees of the police dept. I was just relieved that the power outage didn't extend to my area.

I get home. It's 9:53. The bus ride isn't supposed to be a fucking hour. We hardly made any stops, it wasn't crowded, I don't get why it took so long. Oh yeah. Waiting. Waiting at lights, which were all against us. Waiting for the traffic tie-ups the power outage caused. Waiting.

I get in the apartment, finally. I stick the stuff in the refrigerator. I sign on. I'm too tired to do a damned thing, but blow off steam to anyone who will listen. I fell asleep with the computer on and I got close to 10 hours sleep. For the first time in I don't know how long, probably since the last time I went for acupuncture, I slept through the night. No RLS. My ankle started feeling better, in spite of the needles being no where near it. I can move it. There is still the spot right on the sprain where it's sore. But it isn't shooting up to the shin area. At the moment, at least.

My sandwich and cookie are STILL in the refrigerator. I hope the sandwich is still good, as I plan on eating it after I hit post. The lettuce still seems crisp and the tomato isn't all mushy, which is a good sign. It has just occurred to my stomach I haven't eaten in well over 24 hours. It's been waiting too.

rm_kelli4u2dew 41F
5220 posts
6/29/2006 10:21 am

I've never lived in a city where I had to rely on public transportation, but have visited NY and places in Europe (and Russia - the worst). You have to plan everything in advance, often by hours.

MissAnnThrope replies on 6/30/2006 12:58 am:
Yeah, it's rough to live without a car in the burbs. I manage, but it would be nice to be able to drive to PATH and park. I would have been home so much sooner.

cuteNEway 41F

6/29/2006 11:57 am

I'm telling you woman you NEED to move to MY neighborhood. You take ONE train to Canal Street. But NOOOO you insist on living all the way in Butt Fuck NJ

tee hee

MissAnnThrope replies on 6/30/2006 1:01 am:
Yeah, one train to Canal Street. Then up three levels to the street, with NO elevators on the bottom levels. I know that subway station well. You really think I can do all those stairs with my ankle the way it is? Or in the heat and humidity? Do you have any idea where in the Canal St. station that line lets out?

Then there's the fact that line doesn't run there on weekends. Nope. It doesn't even go to Fulton St. on weekends. I could have taken that line from Fulton to Canal and back, but there was no way I was getting up and down all those stairs with my ankle how it is.

(What the fuck is this shit..?? *rolls eyes*)

6/29/2006 12:41 pm

Sounds as though you could have used a few of my Vicondin, on that shit you don't give a fuck about nothing.....LOL...Wish my insurance would cover acupuncture But NOOOO they'll only pay to drug me out...Did the same thing, twisted my ankle last week while out for a walk it scared me so bad I almost pissed myself but not to worry its O.K. I guess to fucked up to feel any thing....

"shooting pain up to the shin area." OH how I can relate,thats why Vicodin and I have becomes such great friends here of late...

Take Care...Ready


MissAnnThrope replies on 6/30/2006 1:04 am:
I have no insurance, which is why I'm glad this guy is so reasonably priced. $35 a visit. It's why I switched from a chiro to acupuncture.

I really hope your ankle gets better soon. That shooting pain crap is a pain in the ass. Sadly, Vicodan won't help with Restless Leg Syndrome and the new drug on the market for it is expensive. Of course. It's a new drug and the company has a monopoly on it for the first 12 years or so.

free2chose2 66F

6/29/2006 1:33 pm

Down here it would have been at least an hour wait for next train

Don't worry, be Happy

MissAnnThrope replies on 6/30/2006 1:15 am:
Oh, I know. I used to be along the Raritan Valley Line. On the part of the line that never ran on weekends. Hey, moving closer to the city, I'll have better trains, right? WRONG!

The Boonton-Montclair line is even worse and doesn't even run on weeekends. Why? It runs through Montclair and all the people who paid way too much for their houses that are right by the train tracks were getting pissed at the trains going by every day and managed to get it to be one of the least run train lines. It would be quicker into the city, but then the number of subways to take to get where I want to go...

TheRealThing655 48F
9558 posts
6/29/2006 5:16 pm

Wow, how frustrating. That, well, sucks. I feel for you.

MissAnnThrope replies on 6/30/2006 1:16 am:
Thanks. It was a day.

OboesHonedIambs 62F

6/29/2006 11:00 pm

It definitely sounds like you had one of those days. Enjoy your sandwich and cookie.

Instant Human -- Just Add Coffee

MissAnnThrope replies on 6/30/2006 1:17 am:
Thank you. I ate the sandwich, I still haven't gotten to the cookie for some odd reason.

8328 posts
6/29/2006 11:16 pm

Reading that I really feel your pain, Ann.

I don't mean to harp on you, but not taking in any food all day is horrible for your body, metabolism specifically.

When you starve your body, it is more likely to save the food you do give it as fat to compensate.

Couldn't you pack some granola at least to eat while you are going on your appointments? Anything is better than nothing. That iced coffee isn't providing much in the way of nutrition. Hell, even friend chicken is better than nothing.

Once again, I don't mean to chide you, but it's not healthy to eat one meal a day. Especially in that weather in your condition.

I suppose it's more convenient to take public transportation where you live.

Personally, I could never do that. The waiting is more than enough for me. I'm going to drive.

I hope your ankle feels better, it's time for you to get some rest.


"My every move is a calculated step, to bring me closer to embrace an early death." -Tupac Shakur

MissAnnThrope replies on 6/30/2006 1:22 am:
Yes, I know not taking in any food for that long is bad. However, before I left, I wasn't hungry. After I got home, I was too tired and the coffee seemed to have taken away any hunger. When it's hot and humid, I just don't tend to be up to eating much of anything. I mean, I could have gotten a Happy Meal. But the idea of heavy food just wasn't doing it for me. I thought about a fruit and yogurt parfait, I will admit.

I did think about eating while in the city. But my favorite restaurant in that area, well, I recently read the health department report. Let's just say, one more failed inspection and they get shut down.

Trust me, if I could afford a car, I would have one. I am starting to miss driving. Had I even driven to Newark, the parking lots near the train station are monitored. And right there, just cross the street. I wouldn't have had that last bit of waiting and all of that.

keithcancook 60M
17846 posts
6/30/2006 6:07 am

I was just about to leave a nice comment here when something came up. I will be back later to finish it. I hope you don't mind waiting...

Blog On!

PS: Happy Birthday, sweetie!

MissAnnThrope replies on 7/1/2006 1:31 am:
ARGH! Don't make me wait!

And thanks.

redmustang91 57M  
8660 posts
6/30/2006 1:05 pm

This blog is an excellent argument in favor of a private form of transportation, either a car or limo! On vacation I like to take buses or subways to travel around, but for daily use having your own transport is nice, except for the cost, of course. Sorry for your pain!

MissAnnThrope replies on 7/1/2006 1:32 am:
Oh, if I could afford a car or limo. I thought about a cab home, but I couldn't justify $40 +tip.

Become a member to create a blog